Autumn Apple Galette
Fall is officially here and it is time to bring out the comfort food and delicious pies and baking. These simple Autumn Apple Galettes are the perfect no fuss treat to add to your fall baking rotation!
- 4 cups apples, peeled and cored and sliced thin (gala, ambrosia, or granny smith are best!)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 package puff pastry (1 large or two small sheets) thawed and kept cool in fridge
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp either granulated or coarse sugar
- Preheat your oven to 425F. In a large mixing bowl, toss the apples, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and lemon juice with a slotted spoon until the apples are well coated.
- On a floured piece of parchment paper, roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick and place the parchment and dough onto a baking sheet. Place the apple mixture in the center of the dough, leaving approximately one inch around the edges. Fold the dough in towards the center, leaving the middle area exposed. Place the cold butter on top of the apples in the center of the tart.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the folded edges of the dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle the sugar over the egg wash. You will likely not need to use all of the egg or sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the pastry is puffy and golden brown and the apples are soft and fragrant. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!