Chouriço and White Bean Soup
I used Portuguese sausage to make this chouriço and white bean soup, and it was a hit! It’s a comforting meal as nights get cooler and darker.
- 12 oz chorizo sausage (approximately 1 full sausage), sliced and quartered
- 1 cup white onion (approximately 1 medium onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 38 oz cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (2 cans)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a stockpot on medium and add the chouriço. Sauté until cooked through, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and continue cooking until the onions are softened, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, chicken broth, and Greek yogurt to the pot. Cook, stirring constantly until the yogurt is absorbed into the chicken broth, approximately 2 minutes. Add the paprika, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves. Taste the broth and add salt and pepper accordingly. Bring to a boil then reduce for a simmer and cook, covered for 20 to 30 minutes. If you have a parmesan rind, add it to the pot to simmer.
- Add the kale and cook until the kale is softened, approximately 2 minutes. Scoop into bowls and top with parmesan and extra thyme leaves. Enjoy!