Easy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash
Make this easy buffalo chicken spaghetti squash to enjoy while you watch the football game! This a perfect blend of healthy and delicious.
For the Squash:
- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise with the seeds scooped out.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the Filling:
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground chicken (turkey or lean ground beef would also work)
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced (approx. 1 small)
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Buffalo sauce
- 2 tbsp plain light cream cheese
- 1 tbsp shredded Havarti cheese
- green onions, sliced, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spread the olive oil over flesh of the squash, including the cut edges. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the flesh of the squash and let sit for 5 minutes. Dump any water that has gathered in the cavity of the squash halves and place on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet, cut side down. Cook in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rind of the squash gives a little when you push on it and the fleshy strands inside the squash pull apart easily. Let sit to cool. Keep the oven on at 400F since we will be using it again later.
- While the squash cooks, heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add the ground chicken and onion and break apart the chicken as it cooks. Sauté until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, and the onions are soft – approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- While the squash and chicken is cooling, in a small mixing bowl, add the Greek yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, and Buffalo sauce. Whisk together until well combined.
- Once the squash has cooled, pull the strands from the rind add it to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set the rinds aside. Add the cooled chicken and cream cheese. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the Buffalo Greek yogurt mixture and add the rest of it to the mixing bowl. Stir together until everything is well combined.
- Scoop the chicken and squash mixture back into the rinds. Top with the remaining Buffalo Greek yogurt sauce and top with the shredded Havarti. Place back onto the parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Optional: broil for approximately 2 minutes to brown the cheese. Keep an eye on it though to avoid burning! Let cool for a couple of minutes. Top with sliced green onion and enjoy!