Easy Cocktail Appetizer With Frozen Meatballs (Sweet and Sour Meatballs)
These Sweet and Sour Meatballs are a family favorite over the holidays! We always make this easy cocktail appetizer with frozen meatballs for all of our parties during the fall and winter holiday season.
- One pound of frozen meatballs - we usually use my Great Grandma's Greek Meatballs, but you could also use turkey meatballs or Italian style meatballs for this recipe too!
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 large White onion, chopped thick
- 1 bottle Heinz chili sauce
- 1 can Whole cranberry sauce
- The best way to prepare these meatballs is to make the irresistible sauce while you let the meatballs thaw a little bit. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the chili sauce and cranberry sauce until well combined and set aside. Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Once the pan is hot, add your oil and onions. Sauté until the onions start to brown. Add the chili and cranberry sauce mixture to the pan and mix well. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the partially thawed meatballs to the sauce. Cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer for thirty to sixty minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the sauce does not burn on the bottom of the pan. Your meatballs will be ready when they are heated through and the sauce is well combined. Serve warm and enjoy!