Easy Crockpot Loaded Potato Soup
Easy crockpot loaded potato soup is a great healthy meal to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Throw your ingredients in the slow cooker and enjoy!
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 + 1/4 cup white onion, diced (approx. 1 large)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup light shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- reserved bacon (from above)
- extra shredded light sharp cheddar cheese
- sliced green onions
- sour cream
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add the diced bacon and cook until it starts to crisp. Remove approximately 1 slice of the bacon pieces and set aside for serving at the end. Add the onion and sauté until softened, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bacon and onions, garlic powder, bay leaves, potatoes, and broth to the slow cooker. Set the crockpot to cook for 6 hours on low heat.
- Once the slow cooker has finished cooking, remove the bay leaves. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the Greek yogurt as you slowly ladle in some of the hot broth from the soup. This will temper the yogurt so it doesn’t curdle. Once the yogurt is fairly runny and warmed by 2 to 3 ladles of broth, slowly add the yogurt to the soup, mixing it in constantly as you add it. Mash the potatoes in the slow cooker using a potato masher until you have a smooth consistency. Stir in the shredded cheddar until it melts and is well incorporated. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!