Easy Guinness Braised Short Ribs
These Guinness braised short ribs in the slow cooker are decadent and fall off the bone tender. They are perfect to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day from home!
- 2lb beef short ribs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 + 1/2 cup Guinness draught stout (straight out of the can at room temperature)
- 1 tsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour (plus more, as needed)
- juice from the slow cooker
- 1/3 cup low sodium beef broth
- Season your short ribs on all sides. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add oil. Sear the short ribs on all sides, approximately 1-2 minutes per side.
- Place the short ribs in a slow cooker and pour the Guinness over the short ribs. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Optional Gravy:
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and melt butter. As soon as the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk it into the butter to make a roux. Let the flour and butter (roux) cook for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly, until it starts to brown. Add the juice from the slow cooker one ladle at a time to the saucepan and whisk with the roux until well combined. Continue this until all of the juice from the slow cooker has been added. Add the beef broth and whisk to combine. Cook another 1 to 2 minutes, until your gravy is thickened to your desired consistency. Pour over your short ribs and enjoy!