Easy Mulligatawny Soup
This Easy Mulligatawny Soup is the perfect meal to make for the family on weeknights. The warm flavors from the curry paired with the sweetness of apple make this the perfect meal for the family to enjoy together!
- 1 spray olive oil spray
- 2 cups white onion, diced (1 large)
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 cup brown basmati rice
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup half and half cream, heated
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and spray some olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots stirring often. Once your celery and onions have softened and are fragrant but not browned, add the butter and wait until it melts. Once the butter is all melty, add the flour and curry powder to the pot. Stir it in with the vegetables and cook the flour through.
- Next, add the chicken broth and increase the heat to medium-high heat. As you pour the broth into the pot, be sure to scrape up all of the browned bits on the bottom. Bring the broth to a boil.
- Now that the broth is boiling, add in the granny smith apples, brown rice, chicken thighs, and salt and pepper. Reduce heat and bring the soup to a simmer. Cover and continue simmering the soup for approximately twenty minutes - until the chicken thighs are cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the pot and place it on a plate. Shred the chicken apart into small pieces while the soup continues to simmer. Once you have finished shredding it, add the reserved chicken back to the pot and continue to simmer. Add the dried thyme to the pot.
- Either heat your half and half cream in the microwave or on the stove top. If using the stove, heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Once it is nice and warm, add it to your soup and stir in until well combined. Turn the heat off and serve it with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!