Farro and Kale Winter Salad
Searching for a great meatless Monday or vegan January salad? Look no further. My Farro and Kale Winter Salad is what you’re looking for!
- 2 cups pearled farro, dry (rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp olive oil (separated into 1 tbsp and 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup shallot (1 medium shallot)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp cranberry juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 5 cups kale, center rib removed, chopped and massaged
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400F. Rinse and drain farro. Add the farro, water, vegetable stock, and salt to a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until tender but still chewy. Drain any excess water and set aside to cool.
- As the farro cooks, toss the squash in 1 tbsp olive oil and the cinnamon. Spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing it part way through cooking.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the balsamic vinegar and shallot – let sit for up to 5 minutes. Remove the shallot and set aside. Add the garlic, cranberry juice, mustard, ginger, and honey to the balsamic vinegar and whisk together.
- Toss the dressing and farro together to coat it well. Add the squash, kale, and shallot and toss together. Top with crumbled goat cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!