Great Grandma's Greek Meatballs
My favorite recipes are the ones that have been passed down for generations. That is exactly what my Great Grandma’s Greek meatballs are!
- 1 tbsp butter, plus more for browning the meatballs
- 5 small onions, chopped fine
- 7 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 6 lb ground beef
- 12 slices white bread
- 8 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp pepper
- 6 eggs
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add butter, onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions start to turn brown, but be sure not to char the edges. Approximately 10 minutes. Set aside to let cool.
- Soften the white bread in water and squeeze out excess. Rip each slice into small pieces and place into a large mixing bowl. Add to the same bowl the rest of the ingredients, including the browned onion and garlic. Mix all of the ingredients until well combined. Shape into small balls, approximately the size of a walnut or golf balls.
- Brown the meatballs in butter in a skillet until cooked through. Work in batches as space in the skillet allows. Enjoy!