Greek Chicken Soup (Avgolemono)
This Greek style chicken soup called avgolemono is a great soup for Spring. Lemon and egg in the broth make it taste light but still hearty!
- 1 lb chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- In a large pot, add the chicken thighs and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the rice and reduce heat to simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, remove the chicken from the soup and keep simmering the rice in the broth. remove the skin and bones from the chicken thighs, and shred the chicken apart. Add the chicken back to the soup. If there is not enough liquid in your soup, add a cup of water (or more) until you reach the right consistency and continue to simmer.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, you will need to prepare your eggs. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and eggs. Slowly add a ladle of the hot broth to the mixing bowl, whisking constantly. Repeat this until you have added 2-3 ladles of broth to your eggs. This is called tempering your eggs, which will prevent them from scrambling when adding them to your soup. Add the egg, lemon, and broth mixture to your soup and mix it in. Simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often. Pour into bowls and enjoy!