Healthy Chipotle Chicken Skillet
This Healthy Chipotle Chicken Skillet recipe is my new obsession. This recipe has it all - smoky flavor from the chipotle peppers, sweetness from the butternut squash, and is a full meal in one pan. This will surely be a new family favorite once you try it!
- 1 spray Olive oil or avocado oil spray
- 1lb Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup Onion, diced (approx. 1 medium)
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups, Butternut squash, peeled and diced into one inch cubes (approx. 1 small)
- 2 Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and 2 tbsp sauce from the can
- 1 cup Brown basmati rice, dry
- 2 cup No salt added chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp Crumbled goat feta cheese
- Lime wedges, for serving
- First, we will heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once your pan is hot, spray your oil onto the skillet and add your chicken thighs. Let them cook, undisturbed for approximately 2-3 minutes per side, so that you get that delicious sear on the outside of the chicken thighs. Once the chicken has been seared, remove the chicken with a pair of tongs and set aside on a plate.
- Turn the large nonstick skillet down to medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and squash to the pan. Sauté, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until the garlic is fragrant and onions are softened, about 4 minutes. Add your chopped chipotles and some of the adobo sauce from the pan and stir to coat all of the veggies.
- Add the brown basmati rice to the skillet and bring the heat back to high. Immediately add the chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with the wooden spoon to bring up the browned bits which add so much flavor! Bring the chicken broth in the skillet to a boil and add the chicken back on top of the rice, veggies, and broth. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, until the broth has been absorbed and the rice is cooked and tender. Check that the chicken is fully cooked, its juices should run clear and a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 165F.
- Remove from the heat, squeeze some lime juice over the skillet. Top with chopped cilantro and goat feta cheese. Serve from the skillet with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy one of my favorite easy dinners!