Healthy Scalloped Potatoes
These healthy scalloped potatoes are deliciously guilt free! This dish uses Greek yogurt in place of heavy cream to keep it healthy and tasty!
- 2 lb either russet or Yukon gold potatoes, sliced evenly into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced (approximately 1/4 medium sized onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup grated light marble cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Add olive oil and onions and sauté until the onions soften, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme, and salt and pepper, and sauté until fragrant, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Add the Greek yogurt and water and whisk together, until the sauce thickens.
- Layer half of the potato rounds on the bottom of the pan. Spread half of the sauce from the saucepan on top of the potatoes and half of the marble cheddar. Spread the rest of the potato rounds, then top with the remaining sauce, marble cheddar, parmesan, and bread crumbs.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the top and edges are browned and the potatoes are fork tender. Let the potatoes cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.