Kale Sauce and Chicken Rotini
This kale sauce and chicken rotini is a healthy meal that tastes as decadent as it looks. The sauce is simple and comes together in a flash!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bunches black or lacinato kale, center ribs removed
- 375g dry whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup shallots, sliced (1 medium)
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2 inch cubes (approx. 2 breasts)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, plus more for garnishing
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the kale to the pot and boil until the kale is just cooked and bright green, approximately 2 minutes. Keep the water boiling and add the pasta to it. In a large non-stick skillet, add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and garlic on medium heat. Heat the garlic until it just starts to turn golden, approximately 2 minutes. Add the cooked kale, oil, and garlic to a blender with approximately 1/4 cup of pasta water and blend well on high. Add more pasta water if needed.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the large non-stick skillet on high and add the rest of the olive oil. Add the chicken, shallot, and mushrooms and cook until the onions and mushrooms are softened, and the chicken is cooked through, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain the pasta. Add the pasta back to the pot. Pour in the kale sauce and add the grated parmesan, chicken, shallot, and mushrooms. and stir well together. Add a small amount of pasta water at a time to thin the sauce out as needed. Serve in pasta bowls topped with grated parmesan. Enjoy!