Kimchi Fried Rice with Tofu
Make this kimchi fried rice with tofu for your next meatless Monday. Topped with a fried egg, this recipe can also satisfy your next craving for takeout!
- 1 cup brown basmati rice (dry)
- 1 package of extra firm tofu (350g), cut into 18 equal pieces
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp ginger, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bok choy bundles, chopped, leafy tops separated from the bottoms
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, and corn), thawed
- 1 cup shelled edamame beans (thawed if frozen)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos for gluten free)
- 1/2 tsp gochujang (use red chili paste as a substitute)
- 1 cup kimchi
- 6 sunny side up eggs
- 3 scallions, chopped fine (for serving)
- sesame seeds (for serving)
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- In a bowl, coat tofu slices with a thin layer of cornstarch.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet and add 2 tsp of sesame oil. Add the tofu slices and brown on all sides, approximately 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Once tofu is browned on all sides, set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Set skillet aside for later to cook the eggs for serving.
- Heat a large wok and add 1 tsp sesame oil. Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Sauté until onion is softened, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add chopped bok choy bottoms and sauté until bok choy bottoms have softened, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add mixed vegetables and edamame beans. Add soy sauce (or coconut aminos for gluten free), and gochujang sauce. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add bok choy tops and cook until wilted, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add kimchi and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add cooked brown rice to wok and stir to combine all ingredients. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Heat the non-stick skillet and add 1 tsp sesame oil. Carefully crack each egg onto the skillet and cook the eggs sunny side up.
- Serve the rice in a bowl, with 3 pieces of tofu and 1 sunny side up egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallions to taste.