Mom's Citrus Bran Loaf
My Mom’s citrus bran loaf is the perfect healthy treat for January! With minimal sugar, this loaf gets its flavor from various citrus fruits.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup plain all bran cereal
- 1 + 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup granulated sugar, separated
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Beat together the egg, milk, melted butter, lemon and orange zest. Stir in the bran cereal and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the wet cereal mixture to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and stir until just blended. Pour into a greased 8 x 4 loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1/3 cup sugar and lemon and orange juice to a boil in a small saucepan. As soon as the loaf comes out of the oven, poke it with a skewer all over the loaf. Spoon the glaze over the loaf immediately and allow to soak in. Cool in loaf pan, then remove and slice to serve.