Mom's Hearty Beef Soup
There’s nothing more comforting than cozying up to a bowl of my mom’s hearty beef soup. She made this for me when I was a kid. I love it as much now as I did back then!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 + 1/2 cup white onion, diced (1 large onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 398ml canned stewed tomatoes (undrained), chopped (1 small can)
- 2 tbsp herbs and spice tomato paste
- 1 cup carrots, sliced (approximately 4 carrots)
- 1 cup celery, siced
- 3/4 cup tiny pasta (I use stars)
- 398ml canned navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven on medium. Add oil and beef, onion, and garlic. Sauté for approximately 10 to 12 minutes, until beef is browned and the onion is tender. Be sure to break the meat up as it cooks.
- Add the beef broth, stewed tomatoes, and tomato paste and stir well. Bring heat to high and cover, bringing to a boil. Add the carrots and celery. Cover and return to a boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the pasta and reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes until pasta is just before al dente, stirring occasionally. Add the beans cook for approximately 2 to 3 more minutes Stir in parsley, and add salt and pepper to taste. If you prefer a thicker soup, keep simmering the soup until it reaches your desired consistency.