Portuguese Chicken Soup (Canja)
This is the perfect comfort dish for when the weather gets cooler, or when you have the sniffles!
- 12 cups of water, or approximately 2/3 of a pot
- 3/4 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, whole
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in skin on (can also use chicken legs)
- 3/4 cup small pasta (I use star-shaped pasta)
- Season chicken with cracked salt and pepper.
- Add water, salt, olive oil, and garlic to the water and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Add chicken thighs and boil until cooked through, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and remove skin and bones. Shred chicken into small pieces. Add pasta to water while shredding chicken and turn to low.
- Cook pasta until soft, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken back to the pot and cook on low for a few more minutes.
- Remove garlic from soup and serve.