Portuguese Chouriço and Rice Bowls
These Portuguese chouriço and rice bowls are a perfect one pot meal. Veggies and Portuguese chouriço make this is a delicious healthy meal!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 + 1/3 cups onion, diced (approximately 2/3 medium onion)
- 1 cup red pepper, diced (approximately 3/4 large pepper)
- 1 + 1/2 cups sliced carrots (approximately 4 skinny carrots)
- 1 large chouriço sausage, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can red kidney beans (400ml) rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water (2 + 1/2 cups for brown rice)
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce (or more, to taste)
- 1 cup rice
- 6 tbsp shredded marbled cheese
- Heat a large pot on medium high heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook until the onions start to brown at the ends, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add pepper and cook another 3 minutes, until the pepper is softening. Add carrots and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chorizo and cook until it is starting to crisp, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and corn and cook until the corn and peas are starting to brown on the ends, approximately 3 minutes. Add a little bit of salt to the pot.
- Add water and bring to a simmer. Add the kidney beans and Tabasco sauce. Taste the broth to see if it is a little salty. Cover and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add the rice. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes (longer for brown rice).
- Once the rice has been cooked through, scoop into bowls. Add shredded cheese on top and serve.