Salmon on Buttered Toast
Salmon on buttered toast is an easy comfort food that I recall from childhood. It helped my dad through university, and me too!
- 1 can of wild sockeye salmon, NOT drained
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour (1 heaping tbsp)
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp salted butter
- 2 slices whole wheat toast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a small saucepan on high. Add the can of salmon, including the liquid in the can.
- Sprinkle the flour onto the salmon and stir to combine. Heat until the flour has been cooked through, approximately 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, bring heat down to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently until the milk and salmon mixture reaches a thicker consistency, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Toast the slices of whole wheat bread in a toaster. Butter the toast once it comes out of the toaster. Remove the salmon mixture from heat and spread evenly over the top of the slices of toast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.