Simple Braised Chicken Thighs with Leeks
Cooked in a simple sauce with peas and mushrooms, these simple braised chicken thighs with leeks will be your favorite springtime meal!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups leeks, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard.
- First, when preparing your meat, you always need to season chicken at room temperature with kosher salt and black pepper. Now you will heat your ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Once your skillet is hot, add a tablespoon of the olive oil and your skinless boneless chicken thighs. Sear the chicken pieces until they are golden brown on each side and then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate. While the chicken cooks, gather the other items from your ingredient checklist in small bowls.
- Next, add your mushrooms, leeks, and crushed garlic cloves to the skillet. As the veggies start to soften, add the all purpose flour to the large nonstick skillet and stir it into the olive oil until it is well combined. Add your fresh tarragon and increase to medium high heat. Add your chicken stock and deglaze the pan to get all of the delicious browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Now add your frozen peas to the mushroom and leek mixture and mix them into your sauce.
- Finally, add your chicken and accumulated juices back to the skillet. Reduce to medium-low heat and cover, allowing the chicken to finish cooking and the sauce to thicken. This will take approximately ten minutes. Once the chicken is cooked through, uncover and reduce to only moderate heat. Mix in the Dijon mustard until it is well combined in the sauce. Now the only thing left to do is enjoy this delicious meal! Serve in a small bowl over rice to soak up that incredible sauce!