Southwestern Loaded Sweet Potatoes
These Southwestern loaded sweet potatoes are a great plant based meal! Plenty of beans and Southwestern spices make this hearty and delicious.
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Filling:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 + 1/2 cup white onion, diced (approx. 1 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced (approx. 1 medium)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced (approx. 1 medium)
- 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (approx. 1 small)
- 540ml black beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
For the Toppings:
- light sour cream
- shredded tex mex cheese
- green onions, sliced
- cilantro, sliced
- Preheat an oven to 400F. Wash the sweet potatoes off and dry them. Poke them with holes to allow the steam to escape. Coat them with olive oil and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until the skin is crispy and the inside is fork tender.
- While the potatoes cook, Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add the oil, onion, and garlic and sauté until softened and fragrant, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add the frozen corn, red and green pepper, and jalapeno, and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the peppers have softened. Add the black beans and the spices and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the black beans are heated through.
- Once the potatoes have cooked, place them on your plate and cut an opening down the length of the potato. Add a healthy serving of the filling from the skillet and top with your choice of toppings (sour cream, cheese, cilantro, green onions). Enjoy!