Spiced Chicken and Chickpea Stew
Bursting with as much flavor as it has vibrant color, this spiced chicken and chickpea stew will captivate your senses. Make it for dinner and save the rest for lunch the next day!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 + 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can of regular coconut milk
- 1 can of light coconut milk
- 1 + 1/3 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 1 bunch baby spinach, cut into bite size pieces
- Season chicken cubes with paprika and set aside.
- Heat a large pot on medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Sauté the garlic, ginger, and onion until the onions are soft and translucent, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes to the pot and stir regularly until chickpeas start turning a golden color and are getting a little crispy, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Remove approximately 1 cup of chickpeas and set aside for serving.
- Clear a space in the pot for the chicken. Add chicken to the pot and brown the outside of the cubes, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. While chicken is searing, use the end of a wooden spoon to mash the chickpeas until they start to burst.
- Add both cans of coconut milk and chicken broth. Stir the pot well and make sure to scrape up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the stew is the desired consistency, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- When the stew is the desired thickness, add spinach and stir until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove stew from heat. Serve over rice and top with chickpeas that had been set aside.