The Best Portuguese Sopa de Legumes
Soup season is officially here and I'm dishing out the ultimate comfort food - Portuguese Sopa de Legumes! Get ready to warm your soul with this hearty and delicious vegetable soup.
- 2 + 1/2 cup Yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed (approx. 2 medium)
- 1 + 1/2 cup Carrots, peeled and diced (approx. 1 small bunch)
- 2 + 1/2 cups Leeks (approx. 2 large)
- 540ml can White kidney beans
- 3-4 cups Green cabbage, sliced (approx. 1/4 cabbage)
- 1-2 tsp Kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 8-10 cups Water, possibly more as needed if the soup gets too thick.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil, plus more for drizzle
- Add the water to a large pot along with the potatoes, carrots, leeks, and beans. Bring to a boil over medium heat and add a little salt. Continue boiling until fork tender.
- Blend with an immersion blender until your desired consistency. Add the sliced cabbage and a little olive oil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup until it is heated through and reaches a smooth consistency, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 minutes. Make sure you check the soup as it cooks and add a little more water if it gets too thick. Taste to see if more salt is needed and add black pepper to taste. Serve in bowls and top with a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!