The Ultimate Breakfast Poutine
This poutine combines a beloved Canadian dish and one of my favorite meals – breakfast!
- 4 medium sized russet potatoes, chopped into thin long slices
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 + 1/2 tsp butter
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, removed from stems
- 3 cups no salt added chicken stock
- 1 package gravy
- 4 eggs
- 1 package of cheese curds (200g)
For the Fries:
- Soak chopped potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove potatoes from cold water and dry thoroughly. Place into a large mixing bowl and toss with salt, dried thyme, and paprika.
- Arrange on a baking tray in a thin, even layer and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 375F.
- Increase temperature to 450F and bake for another 20 minutes, until the fries are starting to turn a golden color.
- Optional: if you want your fries a little crispier, you can broil them at the end of the cooking process for up to 5 minutes.
For the Shallot Gravy:
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet on medium heat and melt 1/2 tsp butter.
- Sauté shallots and garlic until the shallots are soft and starting to brown, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Add thyme leaves.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth to deglaze the skillet, scraping up any pieces that have stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together remaining 2 cups of chicken broth and packaged gravy to achieve a consistent texture. Add to the skillet.
- Let simmer until the desired consistency, approximately 3 minutes. For a thicker gravy, simmer for longer.
For the Fried Egg:
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and melt 1 tsp butter.
- Crack each egg onto the skillet, being careful not to break the yolks.
- Fry until white is set, and yolk is runny. Remove from heat.
- Set out 4 bowls for serving.
- In each bowl, add 1/4 of the french fries.
- Add 1/4 of cheese curds to each bowl.
- Pour 1/4 of shallot gravy over cheese curds and fries.
- Add 1 fried egg to top each bowl.