Turkey and Wild Rice Casserole
This turkey and wild rice casserole is a great dinner that the whole family will love. The recipe makes a delicious healthy dinner!
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 + 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed (approximately 1/2 a small squash)
- 8 oz turkey sausage (approximately 2 links), removed from casing
- 1 kale leaf, center rib removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Add the wild rice and chicken broth to a small pot. Cook according to package instructions. Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and sauté until the onions are soft, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash to the skillet and cover, reducing the heat to medium-low. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the squash is tender enough to be pierced by a fork, approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat on the skillet back to medium and add the turkey sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks. Once the turkey has cooked through, add the kale and cook until it softens, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked wild rice to the skillet and remove from heat. Toss together until well combined. Pour the contents of the skillet into a 9 by 13 baking dish and sprinkle the top with the parmesan cheese. Cook in the oven until the parmesan is melted, approximately 5 minutes.