Turkey Sausage Egg Cups
These turkey sausage egg cups are a delicious solution to on the go breakfasts. The squash and turkey sausage make these taste like Fall!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed (approximately 1/2 small squash)
- 8 oz turkey sausage (approximately 2 links), removed from casing
- 1 kale leaf, center rib removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Spray a large muffin tin with non-stick spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and sauté until the onions are soft, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash to the skillet and cover, reducing the heat to medium-low. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the squash is tender enough to be pierced by a fork, approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat on the skillet back to medium and add the turkey sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks. Once the turkey has cooked through, add the kale and cook until it softens, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Distribute the contents of the skillet evenly among the muffin cavities in the tin. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and egg whites. Season the egg mixture with salt and pepper and add the parmesan cheese. Beat the eggs until they are frothy.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into the muffin cavities in the tin. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the eggs are firm.